In November 2015, Big Spruce Brewing was very proud to be presented with the Parks Canada Sustainable Tourism Award at the 2015 TIANS Tourism Summit. The criteria established for this honour reflect the three pillars of sustainable tourism; development-economic viability, environmental sustainability, and cultural appropriateness.
Criteria for nominees:
- Demonstrated a commitment to excellence and encourages an appreciation of and respect for, our natural, cultural and aesthetic heritage
- Strived to achieve tourism development in a manner which harmonizes economic objectives with the protection and enhancement of our natural and cultural heritage
- Cooperated with colleagues and the industry in promoting sustainable development
- Offered tourism products and services that are consistent with community values and the surrounding environment
- Fostered greater public awareness of the economic, social, cultural and environmental significance of tourism